Happy Earth Day! What better way to celebrate than choosing to make some positive changes in your everyday life!
Whether you want to reduce your carbon footprint, teach your kids about the importance of protecting the environment, or support a company that makes donations to earth-conscious charities, we’ve found 80 things to do on Earth Day.
Earth Day Activities for Kids
1. Build akid-friendly garden bed.
2. Plant a backyard tree.
3. Create aDIY indoor herb garden.
4. Make anEarth Day pledge.
5. Run apollutionexperiment.
6.Upcycle broken crayonsinto a multi-colored earth crayon.
7. Create anupcycled plastic suncatcher.
9. Makenewspaper seed-starting potsand plant them!
10. Make adecorative signfor Mom out of old buttons.
11. Play arecycle-sortgame.
12. Talk about theimportance of bees.
13. Teach your kids the process of composting with thiscompost-in-a-bottle project.
14. Run acan-you-undo-water-pollution experiment—剧透警告:你不能。
16.Upcycle old CDsinto a gorgeous mandala.
17. Plant wildflower seeds in the backyard to attract bees!
18. Have anature scavenger huntto get your kids outside and learning.
19. Make these colorful andfun seed papersand remember to plant them!
20. Enjoy the beautiful outdoors on a family hike.
21. Makedecorations for the gardenthat are totally upcycled!
22. Bring new life to old or broken teacups withthese crafts.
High School Earth Day Activities
23. Start acompost bin.
24. Build aPVC wind turbine.
25. Create art out of recycled materials.
26. Establish a recycling program at school.
27. Switch classroom printers to double-sided to save paper.
28. Clean up a public park.
29. Build aDIY rain barrelfor the campus.
30. Upcycle bottles intobeeswax candles.
31.Compare light bulbsto learn about the importance of energy efficient bulbs.
Office Earth Day Projects
32. Encourage carpooling and taking public transportation to work.
33. Take lunch at a restaurant that supports local farmers.
34. Plant a rooftop garden.
35. Plan a work-from-home day to save energy at the office.
36. Lights out for the day—save energy costs.
37. Provide each employee with a recycling bin for their desk.
38. Encourage employees to take the stairs! You’ll save energy and get a workout.
Reducing Your Carbon Footprint at Home
39. Calculate yourcarbon footprint. The results will probably surprise you.
40. Domeatless Mondaysfor a month.
41. Grow a garden to help reduce CO2.
42. Invest in green energy through your energy provider. If you live in the Puget Sound, PSE offers agreen energy programthat really doesn’t add all that much to your current bill! Seriously, we didn’t even notice a price increase.
43. Switch out youroutdoor lights to solar.
45. Switch your paper bills to online/paperless billing.
46. Pack your lunch in a reusable bag.
47. Pack your snacks in reusable plastic bags.These onesare great!
48. Bring reusable bags when you go shopping. Many places in the U.S. have alreadybanned plastic bags,不管怎样!
Reducing Your Water Footprint
49. Calculate yourwater footprint.
50. Buy one of theseeco-friendly shower headsto save water.
51. Make it a family goal to turn the water off when you brush your teeth.
52. Switch to a low-flow toilet.
53. Have a family competition to see who can take the shortest showers!
54. Don’t run the dishwasher until it’s full. No half-loads here!
55. Reuse your pasta water! Let it cool, and your plants will love it.
56. Invest in a high-efficiency washer.
57. Check your toilet, faucets, tubs, and showers for leaks.
Investing in Your Community
58. Get involved in restoration projects.
59. Establish a community garden.
60. Attend an Earth Day environment class!
62. Host a dinner party that features all local food.
63. Gather up some friends and host a neighborhood cleanup party!
64. Weed community gardens ofinvasive speciesand plant native plants.
65.Adopt a tree.
Earth-Conscious Companies to Buy From
66.Earth Play on Etsy—Cute earrings that donate 30% of their profits to animal and earth conservation charities!
68.Lush—Next time you get a bath bomb, grab a charity pot! The lotion is great and 100% of the proceeds go to a wide variety of charities.
69.Patagonia—Patagonia donates at least 1% of all corporate earnings to grassroots organizations. And they encourage their customers tonot buy new jacketsif they don’t need them. Now there’s an interesting concept for a retail company…
70.GriffinReynoldsArt on Etsy—Add a cute pin to your denim jacket with this company that donates 10% of the proceeds from its sales to the Pollinator Partnership.
71.automatte on Etsy—Need some artwork? Get this gorgeous print and 50% of your purchase will be donated to the Natural Resources Defense Council
72.DaBombFizzers on Etsy—好好洗个澡放松一下，用一个能把100%收益捐给地球保护慈善机构的浴缸炸弹!
73.Happy Earth Apparel—The cutest casual wear that donates half of their net profits to earth-conscious charities.
74.Tentree—Wanna do a little online shopping and plant some trees? This company plants 10 trees for every item purchased!
75.Sand Cloud—Beach towels that will make a statement and donate 10% of their sales to water conservation.
Making Every Day Earth Day
There are lots of small steps we can take that will add up to big changes in the long run. The key here is being consistent and encouraging others to follow in your footsteps!
76. Go through your closet and donate rarely worn clothes to Goodwill, Value Village, or Savers. There are also lots of shelters and charities that would gladly take clothes off your hands.
78.Bring areusable water bottleeverywhere! You won’t have to pay for water, and if you buy the right bottle, your water will stay cold literally all day.
79. And while we’re on that topic, if you’re a daily coffee drinker like me,bring a mugto the coffee shop! Usually, you’ll get some kind of discount, and your coffee will actually stay hot. Because who likes cold coffee?
80. Make it a conscious habit to turn off the lights when you leave a room. It’s simple, but it can be a hard habit to break!